According to The New York Times, Donald Trump has said that he thinks there should be a database of all Muslims in the United States. Every Muslim should be required to register in the database. If he becomes president, he will implement this because "they absolutely have to be registered." Reportedly, Trump was questioned on how such a database would be different from the Jews having to register in Nazi Germany, and he replied with "You tell me," and then further ignored the question. Later, Trump tweeted this...

I can understand both sides of the refugee argument. Especially since the recent attacks, I cannot get on social media, or any other internet source, without seeing something about refuges, terrorists, ISIS, and Muslims. Whether Trump really said there needs to be such a database or not, it is still a scary thought. I took an entire course dedicated solely to the Holocaust, so anyone who is educated about it, they will know how similar things are sounding between now and at the start of Nazi Germany. I could write a book about how similar things are. I am not saying that another Holocaust is going to happen, but when I hear things like "all Muslims need to be registered" and "we need to send all Muslims out of America" and "all Muslims need to be placed into communities shut-off from the rest of America," ... I only see things going downhill. Things will either get better, or they will get worse. Like I said, I understand both sides of the argument, and because of that, I am not really sure where I stand on the debate. I do think that measures need to be taken to ensure the safety of Americans, but I feel like it has turned into the safety of everyone except Muslims. Don't forget, there are Muslim Americans, too. But then again, I know that just because someone is born in America, and grows up "American," does not mean they are not a threat. Terrorists groups can use a tactic like that to catch us off guard. So, what do we do? Will a database registering all Muslims help ensure our safety, or will it turn into something far worse? Should we be scared of Muslims, even the Muslims who are born and raised in America, or do we befriend them?
Anna Edmondson- "I think it's very interesting that you pointed out how eerily similar this situation is with the starting of the Holocaust. Yes, I think that special precautions need to be taken, but I am not sure which option holds the best outcome. There seems to be equally as detrimental outcomes to the options that seem to have the best effects. I heard that Canada is accepting a certain number of women, children and elderly refugees, which I think would be acceptable, but in a country where you pride yourself on having equal protections, I think that would be hard to implement without infringing on the rights of some."
ReplyDelete